Sunday 1 September 2013

Spring calls for Group Sewing

Today is the first day of spring and to kick it off I am participating in a couple of group sewing activities.  Luckily I can sew one garment for both - oh year love that!



I love sewing dresses and who doesn't like a good cotton fabric, but I don't usually sew vintage!  Athough now vintage includes the 1980s I probably have a few patterns from that era in my statsh!  Anyway my intuition must have known something I didn't, because about three months ago when sewingpatterns.com had a Butterick sale I acquired this Butterick Retro '51 pattern.  The dress to the left particularly caught my eye.


This pattern wasn't even on my sewing 'to do' list, then all of a sudden it is first out of the box for September - don't you love how a good group activity changes things :-)

Last week I took a wee detour to The Fabric Store hoping to get some inspiration for fabric.  I was hoping to find a cotton voile or similar light weight cotton that would have a transparent nature.  Next thing I knew I was at the counter with this fabric!

Fabric for Vintage
The pin in the centre will give you a sense of the size of the pattern.

Now this is sooooo far removed from my comfort zone, but the purple and blue combination found a soft spot and intuition said 'BUY IT'.   So what is a girl to do ... follow her intuition of course!

To keep inspired and gain some confidence in my selection I joined the Fall for Cotton Flickr group - check it out there are some great patterns and amazing fabrics to google over.

Check out this fabric!   I ordered this from Spoonflower, not long after I discovered the awesomeness of custom made fabric. 


Two yards of cotton sateen - devine!  At the time I ordered it all I knew was that I wanted to make a dress with it, one with a fullish skirt.  Then along came this pattern from Kay Unger in the Vogue collection, the perfect combination. 


On my way past the Fabric Warehouse yesterday I called in to pick up some lining, 100% cotton batiste, which is lovely and soft to match the cotton sateen, knowing that this pattern would be at the top of my sewing list soon now that it is Spring ;-)

It feels like Spring is my permission to start sewing summer dresses - well that's what I'm telling myself anyway.  That's not to say that I've finished my winter sewing list yet - still two pairs of jeans to make and a nice wool blazer!  There is no doubt that they will get loads of wear before summer is truly here.

18 comments:

  1. Very exciting projects! I love your fabric choices, especially the science one, so cool! I've never seen that Butterick before, what a great pattern. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm quietly looking forward to finishing the vintage project - the muslin came up real nice.

      Delete
  2. Oh no now I want some geeky Spoonflower fabric to make a geektastic dress!

    And do I spy a nerdy fabric label in that last photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have just given me the name of my blog post for that dress "geektastic dress" LOVE it!

      I would pull out fabric and forget when and where I brought it and have to guess at the fabric composition so had to just make me some labels. Just in the weekend I updated them to include a pre-wash tick box.

      Embracing my sewing geekiness to the max! Which by the way is uber cool! hahaha.

      Delete
  3. I love the retro pattern and fabric option. Cannot wait to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was really happy with the muslin so hoping the real fabric sews up just as well.

      Delete
  4. What lovely fabrics! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm kinda intrigued about a look that isn't my norm.

      Delete
  5. I love that Vogue pattern. Of all the patterns from that collection that's the only one I liked! I'm excited to see yours sewn up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even remember how I stumbled across it, but it was one of those that you just love at fist sight.

      Delete
  6. I love the Spoonflower fabric with the Kay Unger pattern! That pattern is beautiful and I am looking forward to seeing it made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start on that one - I'm looking forward to strutting the fabric!

      Delete
  7. Yah!! Both these projects look amazing - I have to admit though I am pretty excited to see how the Kay Unger pattern works out...wow, that fabric is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've been in love with a fabric more than my Retro Geek. It might have to be my Frocktober project :-)

      Delete
  8. Love the pattern choice for the challenge and the fabric is just perfect. As you head into spring we are heading into fall in the US so my fabric choices will be slightly different, that is if I ever make a choice! I am at least working on my muslin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Butterick retro is coming together nicely. I believe that fabric will tell you when it is right for a pattern - I'm sure you'll find the right fabric soon.

      Delete
  9. Can't wait to see these made up! I wish I could have participated in the Fall for Cotton sew a long but sadly my machine is on a boat winging it's way back to me.

    I will definitely be reading along to see what everyone comes up with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen - there are definitely some inspiring projects in the Fall for Cotton sew-along.

      Hope fully the boat won't take too long to get to NZ and you can be sewing again :-)

      Delete