The December challenge over at The Monthly Stitch was "The Party Dress" (I know we are just about half way through January and I'm just getting this to the blog!)
I did start a formal party dress, but I've got fit issues with the bodice that I have to fix, so instead I made a completely new dress, one that I could wear on Christmas Day ... because I always, always wear a new outfit on Christmas Day. This was most definitely one of those sew like crazy projects that I started just two days before needing to travel.
Earlier in the year I purchased two yards of this beautiful circle eyelet fabric from Gertie's Etsy Shop. The original plan was to line a dress with black siri purchased at the same time. I love the fabric so much that I've been too scared to commit it to an actual pattern - believe me I've had many dresses made from this fabric in my head! Eventually I settled on the Kay Unger Vogue 1353 pattern that I'd made before here.
Up until the point that I had constructed the eyelet layer of the dress did I change my mind on the lining. I had laid a pattern piece on top of my muslin role, in one of those "I'll just put you over there for a moment" thoughts, and the contrast was like a sparkle in my eye. At that moment I knew I just couldn't line this dress with black! From my stash appeared this plaid ....
I know, crazy right! And believe me I did put it away a few times and tried other options, but I just kept coming back to this one. I picked this up for $3 a metre at the summer Fabric Warehouse sale - and I have like six metres of it, so why not use it as lining?!
I do love the way that you can't tell it is a plaid, it's just like the party of colour playing peek-a-boo through the holes.
The construction was exactly the same as my previous Retro Geektastic make, but I ran out of time and had to leave home with one whole seam un-sewn! Well, I did intend to sew it before I left but I got side tracked and then forgot. So the seam of the lining from the bottom of the zipper to the hem has been hand-sewn using a back-stitch. Then the raw-edges have been holded back and stitched down with a running stitch, the seam pressed open and catch stitched in place - there is no chance of fraying now!
The hem of the lining I would have usually turned up and machine stitched, but no sewing machine meant that it was turned up and secured with a catch-stitch. I wasn't sure what to do with the hem of the eyelet, so on Christmas Day I just wore it un-hemmed. After wearing it for a day I decided that I did need to hem it and purchased some bias binding tape, turned the bottom of the dress up about 15cm and sewed the bias tape on the inside to hide the draw edge of the fabric.
The pattern provides for a really deep hem facing, which I understand gives the hem of the dress some body which helps accentuate the design of the dress. Without the hem facing I thought I might loose that design feature, but now that I look at the photos, I think not!
Perhaps this dress should be the Crazy Party dress!
More photos on my Flickr -->