This is Gillian! She is the new release from Muse Patterns. When Kat asked our local sewing group if we were keen to test her new pattern, I was keen as mustard. At that stage I had planned and cut my frankenpattern wrap dress the "Midnight Dream Coppelia", so I really wanted to sew an actual wrap dress pattern for a comparison.
The detail on this dress is well thought out and very figure flattering (in my opinion). The front yoke provides just the right amount of space for the bust and the waist band provides a region for your waist to be, without being exact. I love that, coz usually I have to lengthen the bodice of most patterns by 1/2". The curve to the bottom corner of the skirt provides a good visual balance to the curve of the yokes.
The back also has a yoke detail without making the back of the dress too wide. I think it provides interest to the back of the dress, when otherwise all you would get is butt hugging knit fabric!
|excuse the (unflattering) butt photo!!!|
The pattern is like seven patterns in one: a wrap skirt with two length options, a wrap top with two sleeve options and then but them both together for dress options. I only tested the long sleeve dress, but I've definitely got plans to make a short sleeve wrap top.
Testing was most interesting for me ... I actually had to stop and read the pattern instructions. My usual process is to skim read the pattern instructions, I may stop and actual read things that are new to me or sound complicated, then just get on with it, briefly referring to the illustrations as I go :-)
This time I did my skim reading first, but then followed each and every step of the pattern exactly as the instructions said. Oh boy was I challenged!
The hole construction on the waist band of this dress is so genius, but do you think I could work it out ... simply the waist band folds back on itself to completely enclose the hole which the waist tie passes through - no raw edge or wee slit in the seam. This method also provides some structure to the waist band from which the skirt can hang. Look, at least I didn't put the hole on the wrong side like I did with the Midnight Summer Coppelia!
I went fabric shopping for this make ... I know you would have thought I would've had something in amongst the stash, now that you've seen photos of it! I picked up this very fine stripe merino from The Fabric Store. I would describe it as a medium weight, which gives just the amount of structure to hold the details but drape as a wrap dress should. I used 2.25m to make the long sleeve, above the knee dress version. I bought 2.5m, but measured exactly how much I actually used.
Anyway - I've worn this dress every week since I've made it, which is always a good testament to a pattern for me, otherwise it just hangs in my wardrobe.
If you are interested you can check out all the other variations over on the Muse Patterns website.
More (not so great, shadow struck) photos on my Flickr -->
Fine print stuff: you know ... I volunteered to pattern test, these opinions are my own and I was not paid in any way to write this post - other than to receive the free pattern for the purpose of testing.