I think it was Wednesday evening, when I arrived home from work I was at a bit of a loss ... I didn't have to cook dinner and kids were all taken care of, so that just left me and my sewing corner :-) But I couldn't carry on with my current labour of love (B5882) because it needed a fitting and the body needed for said fitting wasn't home. What to do??? Pull out a quick and easy project on the to do list, of course!
This is the Jenna Cardi that I first made back in September and have worn endlessly ever since. The cropped version with long sleeves is spot on for me.
It sits bang on my waist and is perfect for wearing with just about everything in my wardrobe, but it works well with a dress.
I hadn't transferred any of the adjustments from my first cardi over to the pattern, so first things first I made the following changes to the original size 36 I'd traced off:
- shaved 1/4" off the shoulder seam, at the sleeve edge, blending into the curve of the armscye about half way down.
- removed 1" from the length of the sleeve
- added 1" to the length of the sleeve cuff - just cause I prefer a deep cuff.
- removed 1" from the sleeve cuff pattern piece, reducing the circumference of the cuff by 2".
- removed 1" from each side of the sleeve hem, tapering to zero about 2" below the underarm, providing me with a more fitting sleeve - again personal preference.
The fabric was maturing in the cupboard... the sold black is merino (not the best btw) that I picked up from the Arthur Toye closing down sale for $15 p/m. At the time I thought it was a bargain, but when I got it home to discover that it was all off grain and with a few flaws, well it then wasn't such a bargain!
I ignored the selvage matching and just tried to lay the fabric out on-grain as much as I could. That seemed to work pretty well because it doesn't feel 'all wiggly' when I wear it.
The chevron is a poly knit that I previously used to make an Ensis Tee (that I don't wear that often because the cuffs are too tight and I can't be assed fixing them).
The chevrons!!! I cut both front pieces on a single layer so I could match the chevrons exactly where I wanted - and I'm pretty darn happy with dem chevrons :-) I'm pretty much floating away on the happy matching cloud right now!
I'll leave you with more photos on my Flickr while I revel in this happy sewing high...