This top is a really old make that I've been trying to decide whether I make again or not - this was my wearable muslin.
I picked up this colourful chiffon for $3p/m at a Fabric Direct Sale last year, and not just a couple of metres, oh no, there was 5 metres left of the roll so I got the whole thing! I paired it with some simple black chiffon that I got at the Arthur Toye closing down sale for $5p/m. So you can now see why I'm calling this my wearable muslin.
The pattern is Marfy 3450 from the 2014/15 catalogue, the first that I ever bought. What drew me to this pattern was the neckline with slits down the raglan sleeve. I cut the fabric exactly to the pattern in a size 46. The overall fit is fine, even the sleeve length is perfect.
After I cut the sleeves I realised that they were going to be very full and boofy! Not really me, so I removed 1.5" from each side of the sleeve at the cuff, grading it to 0 at the under arm edge. This gave me just enough to have a small gather around the cuff.
The cuff is folded in half, interfaced on the under half. They are really comfy.
I used a french seam finish on all the side seams and sleeve seams. For the hem I used a hairline seam technique on the machine using Gertie's video on You Tube.
... and it gives this really pretty finish.
The pattern didn't provide any indication of how the back closure was to be done. Marfy patterns don't have any instructions, but usually there are enough markings on the pattern to indicate what goes with what. I decided that I would use a couture technique that I learnt when making my free Marfy top HERE and keep the collar closed with a couple of hooks n eyes.
I was pretty happy with the top once I finished, given that I didn't have to make any major fit changes. I put it in my wardrobe and wore it a few times before I decided that there was just something about the hem that was bugging me. Back to the sewing table it went ... I needed to take some length off the front, oops forgot to note how much I removed, but it looks like about 1". At the back is only took enough off to remove the existing hem.
I think it has better balance now.
Conclusion: I do like how easy the top is to wear, but I'm not a fan of the front slits in the raglan sleeve seam. They are located in a place that is constantly moving so they don't sit nicely like the sample photo indicates. I think the top would be just as nice if the slits were sewn closed.
More photos on my Flickr -->