Tuesday 29 September 2015

Finally Wearable - French Jacket #2

I didn't realise how long it has taken me to finish this and get pictures.... back in December 2014 I shared my progress with my second French Jacket here. It was 99% finished back in December, but it look me forever to put the buttons and the chain onto it.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


To be honest I was a bit disappointed with it once I finished putting the jacket itself together.  Mainly because of the sleeves.  This jacket was a mash together of two patterns - V7975 for the body and V8804 for the sleeves.  I cut a size 12 from both patterns.

I had used V7975 for my first Jacket so knew that the fit would be fine. I just needed to make a couple of adjustments to provide more room across my back.  I add 1/4" to the shoulder blade on the side back piece, added 1/8" to the shoulder seam on the side back and another 1/8" to the shoulder seam at the armhole edge on the side front pattern piece.

Now, the sleeve on V7975 is a two piece pattern and I really wanted to try and three piece sleeve. So I took the pattern pieces from V8804, checked the armscye measurements on the sleeve and the jacket to make sure they would fit together - no problem, no adjustment needed.  I also checked the bicep measurement of the sleeve.  The only adjustment I needed to make was to the sleeve length, to which I added 3".

LFJ 2

It all came together real well, but the final finished look of the sleeve left me deflated.  There was just too much ease around the arm, which makes the jacket look all sleeves!

Untitled

Untitled

The slight adjustment across the back has given the jacket just that little bit more freedom of movement that my first one doesn't quite have.

Untitled

I also think that I fluffed around finishing it because I really wasn't sure how I was going to wear it without it ageing me 20 years (thanks to some very frank observations from my daughter)!  Hopefully the jeans and black Marfy top keep the look fresh and now.

Untitled


More photos on my Flickr -->



7 comments:

  1. The jacket is fabulous! You can really see the thought and craftsmanship you put into it. Wearing it with jeans is the way to go. I see that the sleeve has ease, but it's something you'd only notice if you pointed it out (and something no non-sewist would ever notice). I would just enjoy the jacket and not stress - I'm sure you're going to get a ton of compliments for a beautiful piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline :-) You are so right, no one else will notice the amount of ease - I think it's a matter of getting use to it.

      Delete
  2. Given the amount of time spent in construction it's a shame your not completely happy with the result. It is very stylish and works with jeans. My daughters make frank comments too which I allow to influence me too much. Tell her to get over herself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be one of those garments that I'll have to be in the mood to wear. I wore it with a black knit dress to work the other day and thought that it worked well, so maybe I'll continue to find different ways to wear it that doesn't age me :-)

      Delete
  3. Sandra I agree that your spectacular jacket looks great with jeans - and lets face it in NZ that's mostly what a wonderful jacket like this can be worn with. Otherwise everyone is sure to think that you are off to a funeral or a job interview!j Interesting about the 3 piece sleeve - I like the look of the sleeve in your previous make but the back view of this make is perfect. Maybe a third version is on the horizon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha that is so true, funeral or job interview! Oh definitely a third on the horizon - this time I'm gonna use the new Susan Khalje pattern.

      Delete
  4. It's so pretty. It's a shame you aren't happy with the sleeves. Do you plan to take them in a bit, or are you ready to move on with this one?

    Funny you mention the aging factor a jacket like this gives - it's the main reason I've put off making one for so long! When I was in my 30s (or even my 40s) I would have been all over this, but now that I'm in my 50s . . . I don't want to cross that invisible "old lady" line! Or look like a realtor. (Not that I have anything against realtors.) But the challenge of making a French jacket has finally lured me; I got fabric for one a few weeks ago and it's on my list for this winter. I will be looking back at your posts when I do!

    ReplyDelete